Technology has penetrated in every sphere of our lives. It makes our life not only easier but also more convenient to carry out day to day action.
In the area of sports, this can clearly be seen where the activities like mountain biking are now keeping up with high-tech computers with several features and functions.
The best mountain bike computer seems to be a nifty little gadget that can be attached to your cycle to keep track and measure calories burnt, distance traveled, the speed of the cycle and much more.
For this reason, I have gone through the bike computers currently being sold on the market. And in search of the most innovative and high performing options for you.
So read on for an innovative and well thought out bike GPS reviews.
Comparison of Best Mountain Bike Computer in 2022
CatEye Velo 7 Bicycle Computer
1.8 x 4.2 x 3
CatEye Strada Wireless Bicycle Computer
.63 x 1.22 x 1.85
Planet Bike Protégé 9.0
5.91 x 1.97 x 3.94
Garmin Edge 810 GPS Bike Computer
3.7 x 1 x 2
Garmin Edge 200 GPS Enabled Bike Computer
0.8 x 1.9 x 2.7
The Reason Why You Should Go For a Cycling Computer?
The main reason to get best bike computer is to record data from your rides. Out of concern or as a means of motivation, you will find some people track their speed and distance.
If you want to serious about improving your cycling performance, then track your data means of ensuring that you will do the right type of training at the right time and right intensity to maximize your biking performance.
With cycling computer allows you to interact with social outlets such as Garmin Connect and Strava to correspond and share your rides with friends and other Garmin Connect and Strava users. The types of people who enjoy riding a bike use various types of cycling computer.
Our friends from Global Cycling Network have a detailed video on installing a Bicycle Computer, before reading our own guideline, just have a look what they got to say.
The 5 Best Mountain Bike Computer Reviews
As I mentioned above the best bike computers, now we are looking at below about the most comprehensive products along with its feature that will make your time outdoors much easier. To make your final bike computer selection, you can follow these best cycling computer reviews.
CatEye Velo 7 Bicycle Computer
The Cateye Velo 7 is a primary cycling computer that will provide you the time data points, distance and speed.
It used a small spoke magnet to record speed and a wired speed sensor that attaches to the front fork. Nothing fancies just the basics and however it gets the job done.
It is equipped with the wired sensor that is attached to the wired sensor using zip ties. Using zip ties, the mountain base is then attached to the handlebars. A spoke magnet is attached to spoke on the front wheel.
Ease of usage and Interface
The Cateye is simple to use and automatically turns on when movement is detected and begins recording riding data. Following ten minutes if inactivity it goes into power saving mood.
Bright display, easy to use has all the elementary functions other than GPS or cadence.Located on the front of the computer a single tactile button allows you to cycle through distance, time, maximum speed, average speed and odometer.
The screen is easy to read and overall the interface is also simple and easy to learn.
- Product Dimension is about 1.8 x 4.2 x 3 inches; 4 ounces
- Tool free installation of head unit and sensor
- User-friendly single button operation including auto start and stop.
- Speedometer provides current average and maximum speed and tallies up travel and total distance.
- When succeeding directions this product is simple to mount and set up.
- Because of the large display, this product seems to be excellent.
- The Cateye Velo 7 seems to be durable
- Calibration was straightforward and you can set it to within 1 cm wheel circumference
- If you stuck to get home when it starts to get darker, there is no backlight
CatEye Strada Wireless Bicycle Computer
The Cateye Strada Wireless Cycling Computer is free from wires and packed with eight fantastic functions.
In its class boasting with numbers and largest screen the strada has Clicktec™ interface which lets you easily switch between functions.
The globalFlexTight™ bracket implies the cycle computer can be mounted to your bike securely and more quickly. And also without tools make allowance for riding without wires.
Eight functions are average speed, maximum speed, Current speed, odometer, elapsed time and clock (12-24hr), trip distance 1, trip distance 2.
Built-in Digital Wireless System
The Cateye Strada comes with the built-in digital wireless system. It communicates seamlessly with a tool free wheel sensor. To virtually any handlebar or begin the strada mounts quickly and securely.
One of the most important aspects of this product is that it is waterproof. There is nearly no chance of it dropping off the bike in a spill because this computer fits in the cradle very securely.
- Two CR2032 batteries included
- Item Display Weight is 0.05 pounds and the shipping weight is 1.6 ounces
- Item Dimensions are about 0.63 x 1.22 x 1.85 inches
- Up and down arrow compare average speed and current speed
- For easy use on rough terrain pressing bottom of screen toggles through modes
- Have great design
- This product is lightweight
- The batteries are cheap too and very easy to find them
- Simple installation and the controls are easy to follow and understand
- Doesn’t have which might have been nice is cadence
Planet Bike Protégé 9.0 Mountain Bike computer
From Planet Bike the Planet Bike Protégé 9.0 is a nine function best cycling computer that provides functions like average speed, current speed, maximum speed, speed comparator, ride time, trip distance, dual odometer, clock and temperature.
These weatherproof best bike computers boast of an exact four line LCD display that permits you to view five individual pieces of information at once.
Besides this, this easy to read data that is outstanding for multiple activities like daily fitness bike race training, commuting, and weekend rides.
Easy to operate
The easy to operate device establishes itself as a must for every mountain bikers who want to experience their mileage, track their progress and calculate their speed.
The design of the Protégé 9.0 is endless and switching the display screens only requires a single tap. Even when you are wearing gloves this allows you for easy operation as you ride.
It comes with a wire mounting kit which measures only 82 meters. This heavy duty mounting kit will stand up to rough trails.
- At a time 4-line LCD display shows up to 5 pieces of data
- Fits 25 to 31.8 mm handlebars
- Includes thermometer, clock and dual odometer
- Item Display Weight is 0.3 pounds
- For tracking speed, distance, and more it comes with 9 function bike computer
- Tested to ensure durability and quality
- Made using high quality materials
- Display is easy to read
- Shows lots of data on screen
- The computer is large enough and super easy to install and easy to view
- Temperature reading is high enough than actual air temperature
Garmin Edge 810 GPS Bike Computer
By offering the GPS capabilities including with standard functions and features the Garmin Edge stands out from the 3 previous bike computers.
This GPS qualified computer can perform functions such as instant data uploads; ride sharing, weather updates, live-tracking, and social network sharing.
Track Every Detail
Over and above to the mapping abilities Edge 810 records your speed metrics, distance, ascent or descent, grade and more. It is also coherent with ANT sensors that measure your heart rate, speed and power.
Based on cycling activity like as road, mountain or touring this profile feature allows you to customize your data fields.
When paired with your smartphone and the Garmin Connect Mobile app, Edge 810 offers a suite of connected features. From a devoted device while saving your phone battery, this allows you to gain comprehensive, accurate ride data.
Using a Bluetooth connection Edge tracks the data and transmits it to your phone. Stays engaged and share all the details of your ride with social media contacts, friends and family.
You be able to post an update instantly after your ride or race with details from your accomplished action.
It will support your friends and family to follow up your races and training activities in the live time. You can view your live data using email or social media. They are able to click to apprehend the location on the map and see your stats, once they get your email invite.
- Displays market comprehensive and leading ride data
- Product Dimensions are about 3.7 x 1 x 2 inches
- Item Weight is 3.5 ounces and Shipping Weight is 12.8 ounces
- It is equipped with 1 Lithium ion batteries
- Compatible with all ANT + ANT + Watt measurement system and enabled sensors
- Battery life, with GPS running is solid
- It comes with larger screen
- For an easy transition 3 hard buttons for Start/Stop, Lap/Reset and power
- New graphics put together the 810 look a little sharper
- Comes with primary and secondary roads
Garmin Edge 200 GPS Bike Computer
The Garmin Edge 200 is innovative and close-packed best bike computer GPS system. It will fit cozily in the palm of your hand. This system has the ability monitor location, distance, speed, time, and calories lost.
For touring rides and training making it a versatile option.
With Hotfix satellite prognostication to calculate your location faster it features a high sensitivity GPS receiver. It implies that when you turn it on outdoors, it search out the satellite rapidly so you can get on with your ride.
If you are moving it also alerts you whether the timer is not running. There is no setup required just pop it into the bike and you are ready to roll.
Dynamic Auto Pause
Depending on whether or not you are in motion, the Edge 200 including with auto push allows you to start and stop your best bike gps. This will allow for more precise recording of your GPS data. And also to map out your biking route.
Garmin Connect mapping and Data Analysis
Through this Garmin Connect site you can view all the data in the display. This easy to utilize GPS has been planned who are famous and unknown with electronics for bikers and it implies that there is no one gets left out.
- Product Dimensions is 0.8 x 1.9 x 2.7 inches
- Item Weight 2.1 ounces and Shipping Weight 8.8 ounces
- It requires 1 Lithium ion batteries.
- It equipped with auto time zone.
- Founds in sleek and lightweight design
- Satellite connection and reception is great
- It’s secure and easy to use
- Comes with two mounts and easy to move between bikes
- Battery life is very good
- The 200 is a tiny unit but the screen is bright and sharp
- No heart rate monitor included
The best mountain bike computer is a must if you’re an avid biker and you like to take your bike out on all terrain. So, investing in a bike computer is a must if you want to make sure that you make the most out of your biking experience.
There are different kinds of bike computers in the market. You must need to a buy a computer that will help you to reach your goal.
Depending on the brand, model and functions, the prices can range to a couple of hundred dollars. When you buy a bike computer, you will instantly start seeing results.
Just like that; the excitement you enjoy from using your best cycling computer are so much so that you’ll find yourself reaching for your bike over and over again.